Once you’ve returned your RSVP card to an afternoon tea party it’s time to decide what to wear. Whether this is your first tea or you’re a seasoned veteran here are some tips and reminders!
1. A dress or pants-suit is a great base to your outfit. Choose a color and style appropriate for the season and your age. Spring and Summer tea parties tend to be more informal, while Autumn and Winter teas are more formal.
2. Read your invitation for specific accessory requirements. Do you need to wear a hat? Gloves? Is it a playful or children’s tea party where costume jewelry is encouraged? If there are no special requirements we suggest finding authentic vintage pieces to accompany your outfit.
3. For an outdoor tea party wedges and flats are the practical footwear choice.
4. Bring a light jacket, sweater, or shawl. If the tea is formal, exposing your arms might be considered taboo. The weather or air conditioning could also create a chilly environment; this way you’ll be prepared!
5. Wear a smile and bring a positive attitude. You’ll surly meet new people at the tea and will want to make a great first impression.